Forget The Crystal Ball - Your Smile Can Predict Your Future
Have you ever wished you could look into a crystal ball and see what your future holds. Since that isn't going to happen, try looking into a mirror regularly. If that face looking back at you is usually smiling, you are more likely to live a longer, healthier life. How is it possible that your smile can predict such a thing? Because smiling has a number of health benefits that lead to good health and longevity.
How Your Smile Affects Your Health
Smiling doesn't just produce changes in your mood; it actually causes changes to happen in your body. Here are a few things that happen when you smile:
- You body produces endorphins that reduce the stress hormones cortisol, adrenaline, and dopamine. This leads to less stress related problems.
- The endorphins created when you smile also act as natural pain killers.
- Your body relaxes which allows your immune system to function better and react more quickly to illness.
- Your heart rate slows down reducing the amount of work required by your heart. This leads to less heart disease.
With all of these health benefits doesn't it make sense to develop the habit of smiling?
Learn to Smile More Often
For some people smiling comes naturally and happens often. For everyone else it takes a little effort. This is a healthy lifestyle change that is much easier than dieting or exercising. To improve the regularity and intensity of your smile give these suggestions a try.
- Smiling can be done anywhere so smile every time you think about it. If you feel like a goof trying to conjure a smile out of the blue, think about something you really like or something that makes you happy.
- Create a smile cue. This is something that you will see, hear, or do often during your waking hours. It might be a text reminder, a ringing phone, a red light, or washing your hands. Every time you see, hear, or do the cue make the effort to put a grin on your face.
- Put up reminders. These can be simple post it notes, alarms on your phone, or funny memes you have printed off the computer. Put them around your home, in the car, in your purse or wallet, and at your desk.
- Make your computer desktop a happy place. Chose wallpaper that makes you smile every time you see it.
- Play a happy song. There are a lot of songs that are intended to make people smile. Make a playlist of your favorites and play them often.
- If you are unhappy with your smile because you have crooked teeth do something about it. Set an appointment for a consultation with an orthodontist like Orthodontic Specialists of Wooster. It's their job to give you a smile you can feel happy about.
Now you know what your future can hold. And the nice thing is it's in your control. So start creating a better future right now - smile!